Monday, April 28, 2014

Reading books and watching movies.....respect for creators.

One of my primary joys and means of resting is reading.  I LOVE READING!!!    I have read some really good books lately....one of them being:


This came from the library in the Highly Recommended section but the subject matter was slavery.  Not a light fluffy holiday read, I thought.  The skill of Andrea Levy was to immediately suck me into her story with such intimacy, I felt like it was being told to me over a cup of tea.  It was like watching a movie written and acted with such skill that I felt like a privileged bystander to the unfolding story; a witness to someone's inner world, thoughts and feelings whilst the tale of slavery told in the background of her emotional response.  I was captivated til the end.

Serendipitously, I watch 12 Years Slave the day before I started reading The Long Song.  Set 10 years apart, it tells of similar circumstances in America. Superbly acted it too sucked me into its world. 



Great acting and an incredible story.  Worth the watch and the heartache just to have that insight.  Such skill and passion and talent and human heart.  And it sparked a heart-felt discussion with my 14 year old son who initiated us watching the movie together.  That is the power of a story well told.  Expansion of the heart and mind.  I am so grateful for the creators among us....for their power to facilitate connection to our own hearts first and then to others across time and space....and disconnection.  Reconnection is the key to feeling Alive! As terrifyingly beautiful that can be.




No comments:

Post a Comment